(2 minute demo)
Summer Health is an innovator in direct-to-patient pediatrics, with a focus on messaging and mobile access for parents via SMS. Their fast growing practice is available nationwide and is known for excellent patient engagement.
Medplum Solutions Used
- Custom EHR - The Summer Health custom EHR allows providers to respond to patient messages, enables task management and automation, and has AI-assisted encounter documentation.
- Patient Portal - The patient experience includes the ability to reach pediatricians via messaging, and to view information across web and mobile devices.
- FHIR API - with all data being natively stored as FHIR, enabling synchronization through a FHIR API to Google BigQuery allows robust analytics and visibility into operations.
The unique nature of the Summer Health offering necessitated custom software development, specifically:
- Messaging-based workflows are convenient for users, but require aggregation, careful data extraction and synthesis to be actionable for providers.
- Pediatrics requires complex access control patterns because patients are children and multiple caregivers are creating and accessing data on their behalf.
- Timeliness and tasking are crucial and providers and staff respond in a timely manner to patient inquiries.
- Mobile access with single sign on for clinicians who primarily administer care through mobile devices. This was a key pain point with other solutions.
Medplum stood out for the following reasons:
- Complete control over the user experience, reducing burden for the providers.
- Identity management and access control allows caregivers to access records.
- Unlimited and flexible integrations, and ability to build them as needed without restriction, including streamlined incorporation of cutting edge technologies like LLMs.
The team completed their initial build in 16 weeks.
The following Medplum features were used to build this product.
- Integrations - notably Medplum's integration framework and tools made it easy to integrate BigQuery and LLMs.
- Google Authentication and External authentication - Summer Health uses multiple identity providers for practitioners and patients respectively.
- Access policies - Patients are children, so parametrized access policies support parent and caregiver access.
- Subscriptions - integrations to data warehousing and other applications are powered by event driven notifications
- FHIR Datastore, specifically family relationships and GraphQL allow for medical records that incorporate sibling and family member context
- Charting and Task Management - encounter documentation and tasks are featured in the application and major drivers of the workflow.
- Bulk FHIR API to support reporting and interoperability with other systems.